Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Getting Started

Not sure where to begin, except to say that this is a journey that I have been on for quite a while and with the encouragement of many people, I am finally going to begin to share with you.  I think this is a stream of consciousness, rather than a blog.  To understand the journey and the path I travel you might have to start at the beginning with me.  I will try not to lose you along the way.

6 Piece Puzzle Burr by Tom Lensch
This is a project I have sketched in bars, hotels, planes and trains, so some of it was alcohol enhanced, and I have forgotten as much as I remembered except for the few sketches that survived thru the end of each night during my travels. It started as a way to pass time and dream about a concept.  Any architect knows the thought.  It is a feeling and a passion, but one that I never really thought I could pull off.  The pace of life, work and family always had a priority.  Finally, though the gift of a 6 week sabbatical granted to me as an employee of Autodesk after 4 years,  I find myself with a unique opportunity to attempt to fulfill a dream.

Simply stated,  I am going to build a puzzle.   Not your average puzzle.  And to say it will be life-size might be an understatement.  It is a puzzle designed using the concepts of a burr puzzle.  A cabin to live in. One that is all wood joinery with no nails and no fasteners.  In time I will explain the burr concept, and the design will reveal itself.  Not all has been worked out, so who knows maybe you all can help me make it.  And yes, "you all" is a correct term in the words of my Virginia and Georgia relatives.

For those who encouraged me to blog this journey, hop on.  I hope you enjoy the ride.  For the new friends I hope I find along the way, please be patient.  This is the prologue and it will take me time to unfold my story.  My journey begins the first of May, 2012, and I still have work to do to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment